Monday 28 April 2008

The Singing days of the 70s

During the 70s through to 80s, there were a lot of Singing Contests in Bintangor, Sarikei and Sibu. When I studied at Kai Chung Secondary from 1973 thru 1978 I participated in some contests. Other active singers at that time include Ling Ung Sing (Taokei), Wong Pang Ming(who headed to Taiwan later and became a song writer), Joseph Yu Hua Tong, Wong King Siong, Lau Puon Huang, Wong Leng Huong (Pang Ming's sister), Xia Li Xiang + Xiao Yu (sisters), Wong Guang Zhi (son of Ming Kwong Cafe then), Luk Tian Sing (daughter of Luk Tai Lik, Song Queen of a very early contest in 1975(?). Those were the days many could not forget.
In the group photo, a Bintangor singer was awarded the Sarawak Champion in 1984 Sri Aman Contest. 'I don't know that guy!' These photos of singers representing the Sixth Division in the Sarawak Statewide Contest also appeared on sarikei-time-capsule.blogspot.com
In the photo below, who could pick out 2 singers from Bintangor? - (Top left and bottom right)


Note of request: I would appreciate if anyone who still keep valuable photos of those years could email to me so that I could post more of them in this blog. My email address is subert60@hotmail.com

No comments: